Tuesday, 18 September 2012

Did I write that ?


06/03/2012
Usually the things I write about have been stirred in me by what I have seen or read around the time of writing, things that have inspired or sometimes even bugged me enough to put thought to printed word. It can be media,  day to day events or of course Facebook...that awesome format where you can run a business, share things that you hope will make someone else's day a bit brighter, help to shine a light on a worthy cause or really get stuff of your chest only to regret it later! Like any other social circumstance we can get ourselves into hot water by speaking or typing before we think....only with social media when we hit publish our words can be difficult to take  back. Having said that, it's there to be used and use it we will.....

Like the next person I have strong views and opinions on just about everything and I share them freely here and on Facebook, but as it grows and I become more familiar with this media I'm realising it can be wise to take more care with what I say....this is often difficult as my personal views are influenced strongly by my perception of how I think a situation should be, which I realise is not always how it is. 

So here are some things I promise to keep in mind in future to help me weigh up the everyday happenings that I choose to write about, in the hope that I might think before I publish in future: 

I will not be unkind...
I will always try to be respectful & helpful in what I write! [Kind of like that old saying my Mum taught me as a child..."If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all ", it's not for everyone but I kind of like it!]

I really like my life....
I don't expect others to like the way I live it as much us I do!

As it's my life....I like to live it my way!
It only seems fair and reasonable that others should be able to do the same!

For every decision I make in my life....I accept that the consequences are mine to live with!
I think that that is the case for everyone.... Therefore I will try to keep my opinion of their situation to myself.  [or maybe at times amongst trusted family or friends...after all I am not a saint]

I know the rhythm of my family better than anyone else and above all else will put them first!
I imagine it is that way for most families...therefore I needn't worry about how others are doing things, I'm sure they're doing just fine without my input!

I do reserve the right to share inspirational quotes, sayings and pictures purely because they may make someone else laugh and feel good, like they did for me! And I will continue to rally behind the things that I believe in!

In general I will not expect or ask anything from others that I would not give freely of myself!

I will attempt never to air my dirty laundry publicly here or on Facebook...
I do realise however that you should never say never!  

I am still working on listen more, speak less....as I have said before, those who know me realise that this is always going to be a work in progress for me! 

If I wouldn't say it in person, face to face or if addressing a room full of friends, acquaintances and strangers, then I will definitely think twice about publishing it publicly. 

With all that said, I once read something Dr Phil McGraw quoted his Dad saying, that resonated with me at the time and still does today.....
from memory it went something like this -

~ "You wouldn't worry nearly as much about what people think of you if you knew how seldom that they did" ~

So I am going to stop worrying about what other people are thinking, doing and saying unless invited to do otherwise, as mostly they are capable of looking after themselves. That way I can make sure that I continue to live my best life my way, and by sharing the things that have helped me as I navigate my way through this crazy, wonderful life, I maybe able to help someone else trying to do the same!!

No comments:

Post a Comment