Tuesday, 27 November 2012

That Conversation

I am diligent about my yearly check up with my doctor, my appointment is always made around my birthday and that is so I don't forget to make it. This year was no different. I sat in the waiting room reading old magazines as there is usually a lengthy wait, so was lucky my glasses were in my bag, usually they're no where to be found when I need them.

Finally my name was called and in I went, pleasantries over, then the not so pleasant and it was time for the end of consultation chat. Minor complaints out of the way and my doctor asked if there was anything out of the ordinary going on. "well not really" I replied, "except for a little irregularity with my period."... with this he took off his glasses and looked at me kindly, I had not noticed before how grey his hair had gone. "Well Callie," he said "all these years and I never imagined having this conversation with you."

You see he has been my doctor since I was 22, and taken incredibly good care of me. He has seen me through mundane and not so mundane medical issues and he has seen be bared naked and vulnerable, monitored my pregnancy, and has told me when I thought I was depressed that I was the happiest person he knew...that I had two year old twins and was simply exhausted and now the next stage of my life...I was pre menopausal! No I thought to myself, I can't be I'm only 37, it took me a minute to realize that I had to add another 10 years to that...never was great at maths. So here I was, sitting in the doctors office discussing all manner of mood swings, sleepless nights, hot flashes and vaginal dryness!

The good news was I was yet to experiences any of these things with any sort of regularity, that I had noticed, my husband may tell a different story about mood swings, but he'll have to get his own blog to do that... the not so good news is apparently these symptoms may be in my not so distant future. As my appointment ended I got up and said thank you, and as I went to leave he said the same thing he pretty much always says...." Callie, if all of my patients were as healthy as you, I'd be out of a job!"

Pre menopausal aside, for that I am truly grateful!
If and when the symptom's kick in, you can be sure there will be some blog worthy moments to ponder...my hope is that this up and coming season of my life will also be one that I can approach with a sense of peace, calm and humour...mood swings and all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment